Production Notes from 2005
- AC Barrie: SeCan
- • Very little shattering, no mildew, stood well.
• Susceptible to new rust strains, but decent fusarium tolerance.
- Superb: SeCan
- • Tall semi-dwarf bearded spring wheat. Stood well, can be straight cut, big kernel, likely 2-3 days later maturing that AC Barrie.
• Excellent yield potential (Mid to high 60) but slightly later maturing.
• Excellent disease resistance including rust - all strains but susceptible to fusarium. We spray with Folicur.
• Can definitely be swathed/pre-harvested on green side.
- AC Snowbird: FarmPure Seeds
- • Hard white wheat with identical growing characteristics to Elsa except better fusarium tolerance but less than Barrie.
• CWB has new category opened up. Contracts available through Cargill & Paterson Grain.
• Slight concern with standability.
• Graded better than red wheats
- AC Crystal: SeCan
- • Normally a feed grain.
• High demand for ethanol production
- AC Kanata: FarmPure Seeds
- • Matures 2 days earlier than AC Barrie. 5cm shorter than Neepawa. Lodging is better than AC Barrie. It's resistant to Leaf Rust and moderately resistant to Stem Rust, Loose Smut and Common Root Rot.
- AC Lillian: SeCan
- • Solid stem red wheat- resistant to sawfly
• Very similar to Barrie for yields and agronomics
• Yielded high 40- low 50
• Good disease package
- Infinity: Canterra
- • HRS Wheat
• 3-5 days earlier than Barrie
• Non- bearded
• Good disease package
• Yield like superb
• Good standability although fairly tall
• Not highly tolerant to fusarium
- AC Metcalfe: Secan
- • 2 Row Malt variety. Very similar in all characteristics to Stratus standard for 2 row malt market.
• Can shatter if caught in poor weather.
• Not great for straight cutting
- AC Ranger: FarmPure Seeds
- • 6 Row Forage Barley likely to replace Virdun. Slightly shorter but excellent biomass producer. Good legs and seed yield.
- CDC Copeland: Secan
- • 2-row malting barley has a 2% higher yield than Manley. It's 3 days earlier maturing than Manley. It's moderately resistant to net blotch. Better stem resistance than Manley and Harrington. Higher test weight and plumper kernels than Manley. It has slightly stronger straw than Manley. It has an excellent malting quality. It's 5 cm taller than Manley. It's more susceptible to loose smut and common root rot than Manley.
• Not a problem to straight cut.
- Newdale: FarmPure Seeds
- • 2-row malt barley matures 1 day later than Harrington. Newdale is 3cm shorter than Harrington. It has a better lodging resistance than Harrington. Newdale is moderately resistant to stem rust, covered smut, surface borne smut, net blotch, root rot, fusarium head blight. It's susceptible to loose smut, scald, barley yellow dwarf virus.
• Does not look like much in the field but pleasant surprise when harvested.
• Have direct marketed to Prairie Malt and Canada Malt
- Merit: FarmPure Seeds
- • Limited demand.
- Conlon: Seed Depot
- • 2-row barley with interim malt registration. It has excellent yield capabilities, a consistent high bushel weight and kernel size. Big, plump kernels. Conlon matures early and stands better than AC Metcalfe. It has a shorter straw, but good lodging resistance. It is moderately resistant to common root rot, MS stem rust, net blotch, MS spot blotch.
• Easy to straight cut.
- CDC Yorkton: Canterra
- • 6-row white malt barley matures similar to Robust and AC Metcalfe. It's slightly taller than Robust and AC Metcalfe. It has a better lodge resistance than AC Metcalfe. It is resistant to stem rust. Moderately resistant to surface borne smut root rot, net-form blotch. It is susceptible to loose smut, FHB, septoria and Scald.
• Will work as silage feed or malt.
- Legacy: FarmPure Seeds NEW
- • Medium height 6 row malt.
• Medium maturity. Good yield.
• Likely not straight cut.
- AC Pinnacle: FarmPure Seeds
- • very similar to Derby only better rust resistance. Good standability.
• Excellent yield potential.
• Must be planted early. Fairly late maturing.
• Yields 110-125
- CDC Baler: FarmPure Seeds
- • Excellent forage oat. Leaves like corn plants. Good standability. Yields like CDC Boyer and bushel weight and kernel size similar. Forage tests across prairies show it as good green feed or silage component.
• Forage yields up to 6T/ac
- AC Ronald: Secan
- • Is the first semi-dwarf oat variety in Canada. It is somewhat shorter than other varieties and has a very good lodging resistance. Good resistance to crown rust, stem rust, and BYDV. Its accepted for milling. It has a white hull.
- CDC Dancer: FarmPure Seeds
- • Very similar to Derby in agronomics
• Good standability
• Good bushel weight >42lb/bu
• Yielded 110 bu/ac
- • Tan oat, good standability, great kernel weight.
• Undergoing market acceptance tests now.
- Taurus: FarmPure Seeds
- • Good bushel weight medium maturity. Excellent standability and very easy to cut. Good one to straight cut.
• We put straw dirctly through our straw chopper.
- CDC Bethune: Secan
- • Excellent yield, very similar to Taurus. Good bushel weight, medium maturity. Not as good as Taurus for standing and straight cutting.
PEAS - YELLOW:
- Eclipse: FarmPure Seeds
- • Medium maturity
• Great stand
• Medium large seed size
• Yield low- mid 40
- CDC Golden
- • Medium maturity
• Good Stand
• Medium sized round pea
• Powdery mildew resistant
• Yield mid 40
PEAS - GREEN:
- CDC Striker
- • medium size green pea with excellent seed shape. Good standability. Great green retention.
• No powdery mildew
- Stratus: Canterra
- • Short green pea, it's shorter than Nitouche. It matures 3 days later than Nitouche. Improved late-flower lodging score and pre-harvest lodging score compared to Keoma. Seed shape is slightly more cubed and larger than Keoma. Stratus are resistant to powdery mildew. Moderately resistant - moderately susceptible to mycosphaerella. Moderately Susceptible to fusarium wilt. Great yield - mid 60 in 2005.
PEAS - SPECIALITY:
- 4010: FarmPure Seeds
- • Excellent silage/forage pea. Small seed size with lots of biomass. Could stretch 5-6 feet long. High sugar content.
CANOLA - ROUNDUP TOLERANT:
- DKL 3455: Dekalb
- • Medium maturing, late starting, long flowering. Very consistent performer. Good standability, good disease tolerance.
- DKL 3235 - Dekalb
- • Early maturity. Quick to emerge, quick to flower. Leaned over.
- DKLB 3585: Dekalb
- • Synthetic hybrid. Looked like an average canola all year but did have very long flowering period.
• Open pollinated Roundup Ready canola, medium to tall in height. It has a long maturity level its 1-2 day later than 34-55. Excellent yield potential. It's rated R for blackleg. Very good standability for easy harvest. Tremendous performance under good fertility and moisture.
- SW GladiatoRR: FarmPure Seeds
- • Round up ready-good weed control.
• Medium maturity similar to AC Excel, rated MR for blackleg.
• Top yielder in other local trials.
- Fortune RR: Secan
- • High yielding roundup ready canola. Rated R for blackleg. Strong straw. Very competitive price. A medium maturity.
- Libred 588: Brett Young
- • Open pollinated round up ready canola. Excellent lodging resistance
• Medium height, Rated R to blackleg
• Yield is 124% of Excel and _ day earlier
- Libred 449
- • An early maturing Roundup Ready open-pollinated variety flowers, pods up and harvests quicker than other varieties. Full yield potential realized in minimum time means growers in short seasons or delayed seeding positions worry less about late season frost or flowering during summer heat. Flowering time of about 41-44 days. Good standablility and resistance to shattering. More compact for easier harvest due to less material to handle at harvest. Rated R for blackleg.
- Libred 612
- • Open pollinated
• Very consistent performance and harvestability
• MR for blackleg
- 1849 RR: Canterra
- • A high yield open pollinated Roundup Ready canola. Rated R for blackleg, very good standablility.
- 1812 RR Synthetic Canola: Canterra
- • a short to medium height canola. It's a midseason maturing canola similar to 46A65. An excellent lodging resistance. Yield is similar to 46A65 and SW Gladiator RR. It's moderately resistant to blackleg.
- 1841 Hybrid: Canterra
- • Rated R for blackleg, excellent standability.
• Customers reported excellent yield potential.
- 1862 RR: Canterra
- • Open pollinated, early maturing, short height and MR to blackleg.
- 1896 RR: Canterra
- • Hybrid with early maturity
• R for blackleg and fusarium wilt
• High yield potential
• Excellent harvestability
• Excellent for winter wheat rotation
- SW HyMark 3950
- • MR to blackleg, R for fusarium
• Medium maturity, Medium height
• Excellent standability
- SW 6802
- • Early maturity
• MR to blackleg, R to fusarium
• Medium height
CANOLA - LIBERTY LINK :
- Invigor 2663: Bayer
- • Excellent spring vigor, long flowering period. Quite tall - some leaning at swathing. Medium-late maturing. Very large seed size.
- Invigor 2733: Bayer
- • Good spring vigor, medium stature, early maturing.
- Invigor 5020: Bayer
- • A high yielding hybrid, yielded 125%. It has a very good lodging resistance. Its rated R for blackleg. Resistant to Liberty herbicides.
- Invigor 5070: Bayer
- • Is one of the highest yielding hybrids, at 130%. It has superior lodging resistance and excellent standiblility. Rated R for blackleg. One day later than average hybrids.
• Highest yielder in our local plots.
- Libred 2393: Brett Young
- • Strong emergence and large leaf growth for strong competition, moderately susceptible to blackleg, medium to long maturity
CANOLA - CONVENTIONAL
- • Libred 279: Brett Young
• Hudson: FarmPure Seeds
• Reward: Polish
- CDC Pintium: Crop Development Centre
- • Only early maturing, erect bean we have available. Seed handling and weed control extremely important to successful growing dry beans.
- AC Ultima: FarmPure Seeds
- • Spring Triticale. Maturity like CPS wheat. Medium to tall plant height. Excellent drought tolerant silage crop. Also used in milling and distilling market.. Prone to fusarium.
• Yielded high 60 this year.
- Bobcat: Progressive Seed
- • Winter Triticale. 4-7 day later maturity than winter wheat. Little to no awns so excellent forage material. Also makes very good quick pasture due to rapid regrowth. We pastured 90 cow/calf pairs on 160 acres for 80 days. Also used in milling and distilling markets.
- CDC Buteo: SeCan
- • Medium height. Good disease package. Good kernel quality.
• Found on CWB Special Winter Wheat Program $10/T premium.
- McClintock: Canterra
- • 214 days to maturity, awned red winter wheat, excellent resistence to leaf and stem rust, good winter survival.
• Found on CWB Specialty Winter Wheat List.
- AC Greenfix: S.S. Johnson Seeds
- • Long vined, small seeded annual pulse plant that has excellent Nitrogen fixing capabilities. Interest comes from organic producers and green manure producers who want this for plowdown for nitrogen addition.
PERENNIAL RYE GRASS
- Citation IV: Brett Young
- • Perennial turf grass seed. Underseeded to HRS wheat last year. This year's crop was underseeded to Snowbird wheat with excellent establishments but heavy volunteer wheat pressure from hail last year.
• Do not spray with Achieve herbicide.